The library motivates readers by…
- Connecting individual students to ‘just the right’ book or other reading material
- Providing opportunities for learners to see themselves reflected in what they read
- Meeting a wide range of interests
- Honouring students’ choices in what they read
The library supports readers by providing…
- Equitable access to a rich and diverse collection
- A trusting environment that respects the privacy of individuals as they explore diverse ideas
- An atmosphere that fosters intellectual freedom and a culture of curiosity
The goals of the elementary library program are to foster:
- Engagement in reading and literacy development
- A culture of inquiry and critical thinking skills for research
- Personal, social and cultural growth
- Information literacy, and learning through technology
When students are encouraged to pursue their own interests and passions and are free to choose from a rich collection within an inviting environment, they are motivated to read and their reading and depth of understanding improve.
The Learning Commons can nurture good reading habits among students.